is Oprah being broody?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sbicheidi, Apr 24, 2008.

1. sbicheidi

sbicheidi New Egg

Jul 8, 2007
    Los Olivos, CA
    Hi, my black Australorp is being broody, I think? She is laying but spending a lot of time in the box. She is making very prehistoric, dinosaur sounds on the nest and puffing up all her feathers to look scary. I made her get out, and she is being big and puffy, all her feathers standing up...she looks more like a turkey. Is this broody behavior?

She has no parasites that I can see, which I wondered about too because she is shaking herself a lot, making her even puffier. And all the other girls want to pick on her for some reason.

She looks good, is eating, drinking, color good...thoughts? I've had a broody hen before, but this seems different to me.

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    [​IMG]
    I pictured Ms Winfrey getting angry and territorial about her stage......

I think your Oprah sound broody. Do you think you'll try to hatch or break the broodiness?

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I thought u were about to post about Oprah being pregnant....LOL!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    She sounds broody to me. Are your eggs fertile? If so, you could give her a few to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by