Is our coop big enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunshineyarns, Apr 2, 2011.

1. sunshineyarns

sunshineyarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Just wanted to get your opinon on size of our coop --- its about 4 feet wide by about 6 feet long including the nesting boxes inside. Their outside area is huge -- about 40 feet by 12 feet.

I was going for 6-7 chicks, but ended up with 9. I couldn't help myself [​IMG] Will they be good with that size?

Thanks for your help!

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Well, according to most in this group you'd be limited to six chickens based on the 4sq. ft on indoor space per bird rule but I think it's subjective. Will they have any free range time? Will they spend all their time in the coop and run? I think both of those are mitigating factors. Also, what is your climate like?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Probably big enough for So. Cal, AZ or FL. Way too small for northern Michigan.

If you have three nesting boxes in there, there will likely be no need, as they all like to pile into one. That might save an extra square foot.

4. stewy04

stewy04 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    it should be big enough but do you have a rooster?

5. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    We don't have a rooster and we are in Colorado. They will have a huge run --- 12x40 feet or so...

We could nix a nesting box or two pretty easily to give them more space inside. We also have 2 perches inside that are the length of the coop.

6. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    Sorry, I wanted to add that our climate is very sunny here in Colorado and they will be outside most of the winter. We have all cold-hearty breeds [​IMG] They might get a little supervised free range time, but we have too many fox and coyote here...

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They should be OK in there until the snow comes back and they are stuck inside. Ii would plan to give them more indoor room, or at least a partly covered, snow free place outdoors, by then.

8. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens aren't much bothered by the cold, but they usually don't like to walk in snow, and will stay in rather than do this.

9. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    Good to hear --- We'll see how this season goes with them in there. My dad does remodeling and built our coop for us. I'm sure we could easily expand it (well, I'm sure it will need expanding due to this chicken math I'm hearing). You can see it in the background here:

[​IMG]

This was the oldest three chicks first time outside (at about 31/2 weeks). We had a 70 degree day yesterday, and it hit 80 today. They were clinging to mama (that's me). That is Lily the Brown Americana, and the Ancona in my arms. We also have a Barred Rock out there somewhere too.

10. sunshineyarns

Mar 23, 2011
    Good to know about the snow! We actually have a section of their run covered too --- just to give them shade, so that will also work great for snow too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by