Is Our Mother Hen Going To Go Back To Laying?

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Our mother hen, Mouse, started going into the nesting box for a few minutes then jumps out and goes back to her chicks. The chicks will be 5 weeks old on Thursday so does she think she needs to start laying again since they have feathers?

She does this twice a day.
Is this normal?

In case anyone is wondering, Mouse is a Silkie mix.

Huge thanks in advance!

If the chicks are 5 weeks old, she's weaning them. They're big kids now.....

Our mother hen, Mouse, started going into the nesting box for a few minutes then jumps out and goes back to her chicks. The chicks will be 5 weeks old on Thursday so does she think she needs to start laying again since they have feathers?

She does this twice a day.
Is this normal?

In case anyone is wondering, Mouse is a Silkie mix.

Huge thanks in advance!
It's been the normal for my girls. In my experience it's been a sign she's going to start laying eggs soon. She may or may not still raise the chicks that's dependant on her. The 3 Mama hens I've had have started laying 3 to 4 weeks after their chicks hatched . One raised her chick (was with her) until she become of age and the other 2 Mamas are with their chicks ages 4 and 9 weeks old.

She may start laying eggs soon or considering going broody again and raising a new family. She doesn't decide what to do. The hormones tell her what to do.

Back
Top Bottom