Is our Zebra Finch a female or male?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by My3ChicksMBD, Sep 29, 2013.

1. My3ChicksMBD

My3ChicksMBD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    Hello! We have two zebra finches and I would like to know if one is a female. Both finches sing. Here are some pictures [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And the gray one is the male one. The white one has light colored brown on its sides, and real light brown (orange I guess) on its cheeks. It's tail doesn't have any black on it. It has black on its chest though. Could it be female? I can get more pictures :) Thanks so much!!! And we've had them for probably 3-4 weeks and no eggs. ~My3ChicksMBD

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. My3ChicksMBD

Aug 30, 2013
    It also has been going into its nest a little more I think. And both finches have taken stuff Into the nest. And the white finch may be a little bigger than the other one.

3. My3ChicksMBD

Aug 30, 2013
    :)

4. Paulaann

Paulaann Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2012
    A Zebra finch male has orange cheeks and and reddish brown patch with dots pattern under the wing. The lighter one that you have pictured looks like a male that is mutated in color. But it still looks like orange on the cheek and a very light spotted pattern under the wing. If so, they are both males. A male has a very dark reddish orange beak compared to a lighter color on the female. This type of bird is used as a surrogate as are society finches which basically means they will help feed or sometimes sit on other birds eggs. Check your lighter bird for a dot type pattern. Good luck!

5. My3ChicksMBD

Aug 30, 2013
    My lighter one has all those feautures but just a lighter version of them.

6. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    You have two males. The lighter one seems to be Chestnut-Flanked White (CFW), or one of its variants (there are a few different mutations of this gene which vary in how pale they are). It is a sex-linked mutation, so if he is paired to a normal (or any other non-CFW) female, you'll be able to sex the offspring while they're in the nest. Females will be colored like Dad, and males normal (but be split to Dad's color).

:)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  7. My3ChicksMBD

Aug 30, 2013
    Thank you so much!!! :))) :)) :D

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  8. kkdd

kkdd Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    I HAVE 2 FINCHES JUST LIKE THAT THEY ARE BOTH BOYS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by