1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is paint ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kristip, Sep 30, 2010.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    With the coop I was going to paint the outside of the coop only. But the run, my DH suggested painting the wood beams/studs we are using to help them last longer with weathering... can I paint them or only on the outside and top of run?

thanks

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You should be fine with painting. The birds might pick at it some, but I doubt that the can eat enough paint to make a difference. Of course if you are in the camp with everything must be ultra natural then this advice will never work. Most paint these days are plastic based. So while I don't want them to eat a lot of it, I have seen to evidence that it harmful to them or us. I wouldn't use really old paint for fear of lead content. It would be very difficult to get or find paint that old that would still be usable. Chickens that are well fed are just not going to spend a lot of time picking at paint either.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens don't chew on wood the way parrots do. Just make sure you do a nice smooth paint job without any big gloppy drips that might catch the eye of a curious chicken. And make sure the paint is completely dry and there is no lingering paint smell before letting your chickens back in the coop/run. Paint fumes are potentialy hazardous to birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by