Is painting inside the coop safe?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chick - n - Rachel, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chick - n - Rachel

Chick - n - Rachel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bradenton, FL
    Is it safe to paint the inside of my coop, I'll of course use unleaded. My girls are only two weeks old, and the hubby and I are still building their house. Do chickens peck at the wood in there coop and if so will the paint hurt them?
    My girls will have access to the outdoors during the day and will be shut in at night so they shouldnt get bored in there. Any experience or sugestion welcome, thanks for your time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My coop walls are painted with a non-toxic latex paint. They haven't pecked at it yet. Now the pieces of insulation board they could see on the door they ate in one day. [​IMG]

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    after reading several posts I decided to paint the inside of my coop, or at least the roosts and such, I choose the "childrens" paint they sell at home depot it is a special brnd I think considered "green" it is latex but even safer than the rest and cleans off easier as well.

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Painting is always a good idea since it makes cleaning alot easier. Once the paint is dry it is no longer toxic.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by