Is painting inside the coop safe?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chick - n - Rachel, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Chick - n - Rachel

Chick - n - Rachel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bradenton, FL
    I was wondering, can I safetly paint the inside of my coop, with unleaded paint of course, will the birds peck at it and eat it???

2. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Alot of people here have their indoor walls of the coop painted. You would be fine!

3. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have plexi glass on roof of my roost area. I was interested in lightening it up a bit so I also painted it white. No negative repercussions as of yet from the paint.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Nope, they're neither woodpeckers nor goats, they will not eat sound paint [​IMG] If you let the paint get old and snagglytoothed and peeling, a few flakes may be consumed, but even then honestly I would not worry about it, paint sold these days is pretty safe.

I highly recommend painting the inside of the coop; makes it brighter in there, protects the floor somewhat vs damp spots and spills in the litter, and (especially if you use semigloss) makes it easier to get poo off... and poo *will* get crusted onto some fairly unlikely locations [​IMG]

Make sure to prime first, it makes a big difference, and use thin rather than thick coats (thick coats are more apt to get peely as they age)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    I started to paint the inside of mine, but stopped because I got lazy ;}

THe chickens don't really peck at anything but the shavings... Even then I doubt it would hurt them if they did peck at the paint..

6. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    This was a question I also had. Now I know! thanks

7. Chick - n - Rachel

Chick - n - Rachel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Bradenton, FL
    Thanks everyone, as a new member I just figured out you can reserch if someones already asked the question before, so I'll try that next time, but THANKYOU [​IMG] all so much for takeing the time to reply, now all I have to do is pick the colors!!! [​IMG]

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Prime first - very important.

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I painted mine and it cleans up better.

10. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    I painted mine with homemade milk paint. It leaves a very waterproof layer, but it was a complete pain to do. I think you can buy milk paint also, which might be good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by