1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Parakeet Gravel okay for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fxchick, Jun 21, 2007.

1. fxchick

fxchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've read several posts about giving Parakeet grit to baby chicks -- so far all I've found is Parakeet Gravel -- that seems to be a mixture of charcoal, oyster shell, and grit -- is that what everyone is talking about?
    I've also read some posts that say it is bad to give oyster shell to baby chicks as the extra calcium can interfere with the development of the baby chick's bones.
    So now I have been steering clear of anything with additional calcium.
    My new chicks are set to arrive on Tuesday and I want to make sure I have everything ready -- it's been a while since I had babies and I want to make sure everything is just right for them. I honestly don't even remember feeding chick grit last time (but I might have it was a while ago)
    I have a starter mash, some folks seem to say that you don't need grit with mash -- some say after 4 days old chicks should get grit.
    Any advice?
    Thanks Posters!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Your new chicks will not need any grit if you are feeding a good chick starter. They will only need grit if you are feeding them treats or table scraps that they need aid in digesting. I brood my chicks inside until they feather out and then they go into the coop with everyone else. I always fed them a normal chick starter (although I use organic). I dont use grit at all with ANY of my chicks or chickens because they get what they need from ranging in my yard (gravel, dirt, etc). On another note, I would deffinately stay away from anything with oyster shell in it for such young ones. It is very bad for them as the addition calcium could slow or stunt their development and could even be fatal. JMO

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    If you are worried about them not having enough grit, use play sand. It's sterile...when you first purchase it, not after little munchin has been in their playing in it. [​IMG] I do agree with 4-H, stay away from anything with extra calcium, they are too young still.

4. fxchick

fxchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    thanks for the advice guys -- I think I'll try without since they wont be getting treats for a while -- but I think sterile sand is probably a godo option -- hadn't thought of that one
    [​IMG]

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    When I went to the pet store, they had a couple of different brands of grit for small birds, but they all had this same ingredient list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by