Is Pearl a New Hampshire?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by new2chickens2011, Apr 6, 2012.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Howdy!
    This is Pearl, and she's about eight months old. I got her at a feed store as a chick and she is supposed to be a New Hampshire. She just doesn't look like a lot of others I've seen-not much black on her tail feathers, her coloring seems different, she's really little and skinny (except she looks big in the picture) and her comb is really big.. Could she be a mix, or just poor quality, or am I seeing things? I was just really curious.[​IMG] Thanks in advance! I'm hardly an expert so I might just be crazy! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    No offense- but from a leghorn owner, she definitally does not have a leghorn comb. Leghorn combs are HUGE, super tall and floppy. I think she is a New Hampshire/Production red- mine who passed away had a comb just like that. And different lines are bigger than others, so you may have just gotten one who had slighter birds.

3. new2chickens2011

Jun 11, 2011
    None taken! Good to know.[​IMG]
    New Hampshire/Production Red makes sense, that is kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    She has a white earlobes, and she has the coloration of a New Hampshire. Definitely a mix.

5. she has red ear lobes...

we had one (a mix and a mix/purebreed, like loser to the breed) the purebred/mix was deep red with a small comb and the one mixxed iwth a BR was a lightly with some barring with small comb, but those are the only productions i have ever seen...but yes they had red ear lobes, i would say shes a production mix :) good layers, X-large eggs!!

6. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Then what are the big white things on the side of her head? [​IMG]

7. you mean those FEAHTERS covering her EARS right ABOVE her RED ear lobes? [​IMG]

8. new2chickens2011

Jun 11, 2011
    Yeah, I know in the picture it does look like those ARE her earlobes, but turns out they are just little white feathers. Sorry the picture isn't more clear!

9. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yup, the earlobes are the patches of bare skin below the 'feather tufts'.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, she looks like a hatchery quality NHR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by