Is Pekin too thin??

Jill102

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 23, 2009
Hello there! I'm a new duck owner so please forgive me if this is an obvious question. I searched previous posts but am trying to find out how to determine if my ducks are a healthy weight. Both of my ducks, a Pekin and a Pekin-Crested, were rescued from less than ideal conditions a few weeks ago. The Pekin-Crested, in particular, was malnourished and quite thin. I was told you could tell by the breast if a duck is underweight. His chest doesn't dip in so much so now that he is in a clean living space and eating well but I can still see a bit of an indentation there. The female has always been healthier and I never considered her underweight, in fact, I worry about the opposite! But today, I snapped a photo and noticed she too has a faint indentation there. Perhaps this is completely normal? Any tips on how to determine if they are a healthy weight? They are fed Mazuri Waterfowl pellets. Based on the table in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, I've been feeding them a total of 1lb (half a pound each) divided into two feedings. Though, I can't be sure if they're equally splitting the food, of course.
smile.png
You might be able to see the indentation I'm talking about in this photo. Noteworthy - this is not visible from a front view. THANKS for any advice!!

34y9xxv.jpg

Some of my ducks have an indentation like that, though not as pronounced. They have never been hungry a day in their lives. Others may have something different to say about your photo.

She doesnt look bad to me....but mine are also fat and get fed as much food as they want. I go through about 50lbs of feed every 2 weeks for 4 pekins, and 9 chickens.

"Duck cleavage" is hilarious!
big_smile.png
Do most folks free feed their ducks?

I think it depends on what they have access to. I feed mine in the morning around 9 or so and then in the evening around 5. They range around the yard foraging throughout the rest of the day. When it starts getting really cold, I'll probably leave more out for them.

The soundest advice I can give is this :
Healthy Ducks Have Boobies.

I mean they dont have to be C's or D's, since then they would be an over wieght duck but a nice little pair of A's Should work just fine
lau.gif
lau.gif

Well, if they were thin, you've done wonders with feeding them. They look very healthy and as they should.
I agree with the others that said that ducks should have boobies!
A good duck is a Rubenesque duck! Even my exhibition Runners have cleavage.

Hugo is SO HANDSOME!

Plump breasts on a duck are a good sign.

My ducks have free access to their feed, but they only eat it when they run out of bugs and tasty greens to eat.

Back
Top Bottom