1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

is pennicillin a no no

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jonespoulltryfarm, Dec 17, 2011.

1. jonespoulltryfarm

jonespoulltryfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    Kentucky
    i have a badly tore up duck her brothers and sisters keep eating her wing feathers and it has gotten so bad that its started to include meat before i caught it the next morning is it ok to give her a shot of penicillin to ward off bacteria?

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Baytril is a good antibiotic that i have used on domestic ducks, ornamental ducks, and even a swan or two. I haven't used penicillin, i would think it would be ok but am not for sure. Have to wait and see what someone else says or call your vet just to be safe.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you use penicillin, use the entire course of antibiotics, not just one shot.

Your duck won't get better until you separate her from the ones that are chewing on her. Penicillin won't stop the chewing.

4. jonespoulltryfarm

Dec 15, 2011
    Kentucky
    i am not new to poultry i have raised for over five years just semi new to Muscovys i have her separated and i was just curious to penicillin because i have heard antibiotics are deadly to waterfowl but i thank you for your response

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:PenG with Procaine is great for skin wounds to prevent infection.
    Antibiotics ARE NOT deadly to waterfowl.
    Good luck with your duck.

6. hossfeathers

hossfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    As Oregon Blues said,
    Your duck won't get better until you separate her from the ones that are chewing on her. Penicillin won't stop the chewing.

Be careful in the use of any antibiotic in a meat bird or one that you intend to use the eggs from. The withdrawal time before using the eggs or the meat should be listed on the package. If it isn't, consult a vet to make sure you're not eating the drug with the meat or eggs.

Baytril is a high powered antibiotic that is extremely limited in its use in food animals. It should not be used without a vet's supervision.​

7. jonespoulltryfarm

Dec 15, 2011
    Kentucky
    all my birds are used for is breeding and offspring i don't eat my birds or their eggs i have a penicillin g with procaine not labeled for poultry but i used the mL per pound and used some common math to arrive at what dosage to use on her and thanks alot for all of your answer [​IMG] she is dong fine i was just taking a precaution

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by