1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Pinioning a Disqualification for Showmanship?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Faverolle Lover, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Faverolle Lover

Faverolle Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    Okay so I'm hoping that I'm posting this on the right place.
    I am getting a seabright chick in a few days and because I live in the country (with a lot of large menacing dogs nearby) and I have very few resources (can't build a roof for the run) I am planning on pinioning it. I hope to show it in a local 4H showmanship. My question is, is a pinioned bird a disqualification for showmanship, or just for quality? Or is it just a quality defect?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I have never seen a pinioned bird in showmanship, it could perhaps be like an "unspoken rule" but I think it also kinda restricts the ability to show the bird since not all of the bird is there right? Pinioning is losing the flight feathers right?

3. Faverolle Lover

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    Pinioning is when you cut off the pinion on a birds wing. The pinion had most of the flight feathers on it so yes.

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    You can always ask your 4H leader if it would disqualify you :)

5. Faverolle Lover

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    I'm self-taught. With the exception on poultry mtgs where my mom and I chat about the chickens for two hours. I do have a past-leader that I am desperately trying to find the number of.

6. Faverolle Lover

Mar 18, 2016
    Idaho, US
    Okay, I have counted up my extra wood and I actually have enough to build a roof over my chicken run and so I will not be pinioning thoes chicks. Thank you for all of your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by