Is Pip a roo or hen???

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by walker1229, Feb 17, 2016.

1. walker1229

walker1229 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok this is pip the gray and white speckeled one. We raised him\her from an egg she\he is a mix breed from a local person. Pip is now 6 almost 7 months old right now i havent gotten any eggs because its so cold but up till now we were pretty sure Pip was a big hen. Well yesterday Pip started crowing she\he only crowed a handful of times then nothing else. then again today nothing until mid day and we are crowing again. And today he\she mounted another hen. Is this just a dominate hen acting roo or a roo? Pip is our favorite and we would hate to have to get ride of her\him because we had to get rid of a rooster because it bugged our neighbors. There are no spurs or curly or long tail feather.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Do you see how different the back feathers are? Those are male saddle feathers. It's a boy.

3. chickychick7

chickychick7 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    Hi,
    It does look like a rooster. There is a product called a
    NO CROW ROOSTER COLLAR you could look into. I just
    have 2 hens and they make enough noise as it is that I
    worry about the neighbors too !
    Good luck with Pip
    [​IMG]

4. walker1229

walker1229 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    My Coop
    He was a roo, we had tried the collars before on another rooster but it didn't work enough. I say was because he made his way into the soup pot, sadly one our newest chicks have just started crowing :( its not very often so I am dragging my feet!

5. chickychick7

chickychick7 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2015
    I know it's not easy but I'm sure you can find him a good home where Roosters are allowed if you put forth the effort...
    especially since he's so friendly.

1 person likes this.
  6. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    You will be able to identify the roosters in your flock between weeks 5 to 7. The males will have more developed combs and wattles, are usually larger (but not always) and will be attempting to crow. There is not a good way to keep your roosters from crowing outside of finding a new home for your rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by