Separate names with a comma.
Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions)
in our 2018
Coop Rating Project!
Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by Leah567, Apr 6, 2017.
I was wondering is it bad if chickens eat poison ivy?
No, I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure it's not healthy for anyone or anything to eat poison ivy. They would get all the poison ivy oils in there mouths and down their throats and all down their digestive tracts causing it to swell up. It would probably kill whatever ate it if you have enough. I live by A LOT of poison ivy and my chickens don't eat any of it to my knowledge. They have the instinct to know what is and isn't good for them so I wouldn't worry about it.
It seems the concensus is that it won't harm the chickens, but can easily spread to anyone that has contact with the birds.
Thanks for your responses! My chickens eat leaves off a certain bush, That I thought was poison ivy, But I guess its not.
Poison ivy doesn't grow in bush form. It is ivy.
Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are evil, terrible stuff. (Ask me how I know.) The entire plant - leaves, berries, stems, vines, roots - have the urushiol oil. Just a trace amount can cause a horrible reaction in humans.
I've heard that birds will climb on the plants and eat the berries. However I don't know if it's poisonous for chickens. I've observed that our chickens innately know what plants to eat and what not to eat. If you have poison ivy on your property I would think a bigger concern would be if the chickens get the oil on their feathers and transfer it to you. Happens all the time to dog owners.
Thanks for all the info! There is this certain bush my chickens love eating! Does it help disgust their food or something?
I'm immune to all 3.
Can you post a picture of the bush?
It isn't poison ivy if it is in bush form.