Is polyurethane safe for a roost?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GimmeCake, Jul 30, 2013.

1. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    I was going to paint it, but instead I want to apply polyurethane. I want to know if it's safe, as in it won't irritate my chicken's feet, or harm them.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I feel wood roosts should be left bare. They will scratch anything like paint or polyurethane off, and until they do, it will be slippery. You can sand it down and oil it with veggie oil now and then.

3. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    I've seen poly water pipes used for roosts extensively with no harm ....... this may be similiar to what you are talking about (?) .

Shannon

4. GimmeCake

GimmeCake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2013
    How long will it last without coating (it's like a 1-1.5in diameter dowel)? And is there anything else that's non-toxic to put on the roost?

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    I concur with the previous posts. Just leave it bare. Sand or scrape it off if it gets really dirty, or just replace. I have a 2x4 untreated, unpainted stud as roost and it has been in there for almost 3 years. No problem with the wood decaying, it's a little dirty but not too bad so I'm leaving it in a bit longer. Using things like 2x4s or dowels is inexpensive to replace, so why would you go to the trouble of treating it with something?

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I painted my roost bars (2X4's, wide side up), along with the rest of the interior of the coop. It could be left unpainted, but it looks a lot better painted. I would not use anything potentially slippery on the bars, like polyurethane. Especially with a small round dowel rod.
    Jack

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by