Is poultry the only livestock meat you can process and sell off the farm?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DanIndiana, Feb 5, 2012.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I know the USDA has the 1,000 bird exemption, etc. Are there any similar exemptions for other livestock (like goats)? I can't find anything that says you can legally process and sell any other livestock off you farm besides poultry.
    Thanks

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I think at least in my state that anything other than poultry ( duck, turkey, chicken etc) we have to take any other animals to a FDA approved processing site. Ours is Vermont Livestock Slaughter and Processing about 20 minutes from us. They process it and if we want they will actually sell the meat for us. They do pretty much any kind of animal or wild game in the area.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We sell people live animals that are slaughtered here on the farm and then aged, cut, and wrapped at a local butcher.

4. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    It just seems that with such tight profits in any meat enterprise, that not being required to pay a processor is a huge advantage to going with poultry over other livestock, at least for a small-timer. We have been selling eggs for a bit, and some people are starting to ask about meat. I love the simplicity of being able to put a sign out in the yard and seeing if the demand is there, and it's all nice and legal.

5. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Do you have to have the area where you process, inspected? I sell meat chickens and have been taking them to a local processor, but would like to start doing it myself. Just wondering if you have to have a certain set-up??

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It depends on the laws for your state. My state follows USDA guidelines which aren't very specific. They say that you must process in a "sanitary manner", but there is no definition of "sanitary". We do all our processing outdoors but we do use stainless steel tables that can be kept very clean.

7. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Your local extension office should be able to answer your questions. As most states have different laws. My State DA has a nice website that gives all the answers to the questions you have posted. I don't live in your state so I can't answer your questions. Do a google search of your state and Department of Agriculture and I'm sure you will find the answers on that site.

8. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you, I went through some paperwork that I printed off and it states that "small scale" poultry farming doesn't require inspections in Idaho and that I just have to use "sanitary" procedures when processing.

9. Smiles-N-Sunshine

Smiles-N-Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    Palominas, Arizona

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by