1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is preen harmful to chickens???

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mswillow, Jul 3, 2015.

1. mswillow

mswillow New Egg

Jul 3, 2015
    I put in a new garden today on the side of the house where my chickens have never gone. This is my first year with chickens and they are only three months old. I wasn't thinking and put down some preen when I was finished. I watered it in real well then went inside for a while. When I went back out the chickens where all over the new garden. I was horrified because I never gave it a thought that they would try to eat it. Should I be worried? I feel sick right about now!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    There is probably a free phone number on the package possibly one for poison control centers, you could call and ask them. Usually weed killers etc. have a section on label about what to do about accidental ingestion. I would think any weed treatment would be poisonous at least until it has been well watered in.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Check out Preen's website and review the data sheet on the exact product you used. I looked up one and it lists no toxicity to avian species. Makes sense since wild birds frequent our gardens.

They also have a contact form, send them your concern and hopefully you will get a reply. But being a holiday weekend bet you won't get a reply until next week.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. mswillow

mswillow New Egg

Jul 3, 2015
    Thank you everyone. I called Preen and they said that the product is corn meal based which is why they were drawn to it. It contains 1.47% Trifluralin which is a herbicide. It has been tested on birds and ducts with no ill-affects. My chickens are not laying yet so I don't have to worry about the eggs.

6. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for the update : Glad you contacted them and got a response. I know you will sleep better now that the worry is over :)

7. mswillow

mswillow New Egg

Jul 3, 2015
    Thank you!

8. sunnysmith

sunnysmith New Egg

Oct 14, 2015
    Thank you for the info!!! So helpful as we've just put preen down!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by