1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Pressure Treated Lumber OK?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by heybarb, Mar 10, 2012.

1. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    We are going to buy our supplies to build our own coop and I can't find whether it's ok to us pressure treated lumber or not? Is there a rule of thumb or a link?

2. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, it's perfectly safe, and is also the BEST choice if you don't want your structure to rot out quickly. All of my structures have been built with pressure treated lumber.

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    We used pressure treated lumber for the 2x4's that had ground contact and then regular lumber (cheaper) for the rest of the coop. I personally don't have an issue with pressure treated lumber in a coop.

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh-- just remember that you can't paint it right away. It's stays 'green' or needs to 'dry out' for a couple of weeks before you paint it. Especially if it's fresh and really feels damp to the touch. It's not bad-- just keep that in mind if you will be painting over it. Give it time to dry and then paint it. :) The great thing is that you don't HAVE to paint it, though.

5. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thanks!!! We're on our way now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by