1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is rainwater safe to give chickens and ducks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mberry222, Feb 20, 2009.

1. mberry222

mberry222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Kingston, TN
    I have been trying to find if collecting rainwater to give to poultry is safe. All I have been able to find about collecting rainwater is for use in the garden. Does anyone catch rainwater for their birds? Does it need to be treated prior?
    Thanks for any input!

2. Brad7558

Brad7558 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2008
    MN
    Yes its safe. I collect and use it for many things like watering plants and animals.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Sure is. [​IMG]

4. mberry222

mberry222 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Kingston, TN
    Thanks for the quick replies. [​IMG] Is it safe for goats or livestock dogs? Should any suppliments be added from time to time?

5. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    Our dogs drink out of the pond, chickens drink out of muddy puddles, I cant imagine saved rainwater doing any damage, as long as their are no mosquito larvae, especially for dogs.

6. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Yes it is. Ive never added any suppliments. [​IMG]

7. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    If the day ever comes that rainwater is not safe for the poultry or other animals...oh my, big trouble! If the rainwater were not safe...then all small surface bodies like creeks, ponds, etc would not be safe either.

The important thing collecting rain water would be to keep algae, mosquitoes , etc from growing in your storage container.

8. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    NO NO NO dont give rain water,only bottled water,its the best,and only Perrier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

9. FractalFarmer

FractalFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    SF Bay area CA
    How are you collecting it? If you have a rain barrel that catches water from the downspouts, I'd be concerned if you have asphalt shingles. I hear that toxins can leach out into the water. If you have concrete, tile, or metal roofing or are collecting the rainwater some other way then no problem.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  10. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by