1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is raising turkeys easy, like chickens, or high maintenance, like ducks?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SqueakyRoseShalom, Feb 25, 2012.

1. SqueakyRoseShalom

SqueakyRoseShalom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I'm thinking about getting some turkeys, but I would like to know if they are high maintenance? I bought some ducks last year on a whim, thinking that they would enjoy our large pond, and they have turned out to be the most high maintenance pet we've ever had. Especially when they were ducklings, I had to clean their area every single day, sometimes twice a day, because they poop so much and make such a mess with the water! Baby chicks are a breeze to raise up, in comparison, and taking care of my chickens is like breathing to me=). So how are turkeys?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    turkeys act more like chickens than they do like ducks. if u raise them from a poult (baby turkey) then they usually will stay near their owner u can train them if u're cautious. but if u get them when they are adults its hard to break them so u'll have to put then in an inclosed area with a top on it so they don't fly away. they are VERY curious & want to get in your business. they will try to out-think you & if you aren't smart they WILL. they are so funny. at night if the barn is open they will put themselves away (mine did).

if u have any more questions feel free to PM me i've been working w them for 4 years & i know a lot (especially about character) hope i helped some.
    --turkeygirl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by