Is raw milk good for young puppys?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cman2346, Mar 18, 2013.

1. cman2346

cman2346 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    fishin
    I just got a new puppy. My dog went missing Saturday morning. And my dad brought home a 9 week old Rodesian Ridge Back.(If any body knows any thing about the breed PLEAS tell me.) And we have a milk cow. and i was wondring if i could feed him raw milk, straight from the cow. We feed are 6 month old basset hound who drinks milk right out of the cow. She loves it!!! I just wanted to know if Dozer (thats his name) could drink it?

Thanks for any info,
    Caleb

2. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Dogs don't handle large amounts of lactose well. In small amounts cheese and milk is OK. To much can lead to diarrhea.

Ridgebacks are a working breed and can be stubburn, but shouldn't be too hard to train. They do need a job, and do great in tracking or other hound type activity.

3. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    they can also be an aggressive breed if not properly trained and socialized. After all, they were created to hunt lions so they have to be!

Start shopping now for a training class so that you can get started as soon as he has had all of his shots.

Lots of socializing and make sure he gets lots of exercise and has a job to do!

4. cman2346

Mar 15, 2013
    fishin
    THANKS.[​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can be great dogs - this said in spite of the fact that my daughter was bitten in the face by one. [​IMG]

6. Mini Madness

Mini Madness Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Athens Ga

7. Mini Madness

Mar 21, 2013
    Athens Ga
    Dogs and cats are lactose intolerant so don't give cow milk~goat is best! Now yogurt/cottage cheese is fine.

8. tadpole98

tadpole98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Missouri
    i give my 11 year old golden retriever and 7 year old sheltie raw cow milk. Annie has always been a little sickly (stupid inbred puppy mill place [​IMG] ) and since we started giving her a bit of milk every once in awhile (once to twice a week) she is actually feeling perkier. [​IMG]

lily just gets it because she gets jealous..
    -Tad

9. cman2346

Mar 15, 2013
    fishin
    Thanx hes not gonna have any trouble getting exersise we live on a huge farm(allmost 300 acres) and i hike and fish all day.[​IMG]

10. Mini Madness

Mar 21, 2013
    Athens Ga
    Goat milk is the best and a raw egg yolk will help with protien level 1 or 2 times a week. Not the white it binds nutrition(bvitamins). Feed holistcally is great as well. Yogurt has probiotics which help the flora in the gut absorb more nutrition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by