Is red in stool always cocci?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by egglicious, Nov 6, 2011.

1. egglicious

egglicious Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Hello all
    I have two new chickens about 13 weeks old that are currently in quarantine. They are from a very reputable breeder who I trust immensely. When they arrived I confess I may have overloaded them with treats and one of them got diarrhea pretty bad. At least I assumed it was the treats. The diarrhea seems to have cleared but the other day I noticed red in one of their stools. Since then there has been some red in stools occasionally. Not sure if it's blood. They get a little avia charge 2000 in their water and mealworms as a treat, plus their mash with a little probiotic yogurt. They seem completely healthy, no weight loss or other symptoms. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  3. egglicious

May 7, 2011
    Quote:That's what I was thinking, but someone told me that they only shed intestinal lining after they are laying. Do you know this to be true?

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I started flipping out when one of my roos had red poop.
    I had forgotten, he got into the dog's food bowl, and the kibble is red...
    He's fine, just check to see what he may have gotten into.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:That's what I was thinking, but someone told me that they only shed intestinal lining after they are laying. Do you know this to be true?

Yes, I had a chick that did it. It lasted about a week, then I didn't see it anymore.

6. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I had that last week. The poo was a burnt orange/brick red color and I freaked out. Turns out to have cleared its self up. I had forgot my mother threw a bunch of tomatoes in their run

7. egglicious

May 7, 2011
    Thank you all. I feel much better about it now. My gut was telling me it isn't cocci but I just wanted to be sure. They look like good, strong, healthy birds. I may put them on the roost with the other girls tonight. They've been is quarantine for a while and it's just getting too cramped for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by