Is Redwood OK to use for bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flashmayo, Mar 10, 2015.

1. flashmayo

flashmayo New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    I recently milled some old redwood deck boards and have 2 garbage bags of shavings. Is this stuff OK to use for the bedding in either the run or the coop, or even for DLR? The boards were dirty, but all the stain had been baked out of them years before the milling.

Thanks,

Flash

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Welcome to BYC first off… on the Redwood, I am not sure. I would lean toward it should be ok. I have not ever heard of it being on a don't use listing such as Cedar. However it needs be 'shavings' not saw dust. Saw dust, should it be ingested tends toward binding up birds. A peck here or there is not a worry, but the 'dust' I suppose is mistaken for 'feed' and has led to problems down the road.

So with that in mind, if it is shavings, perhaps you could give it a go. The run might be best… if you have choices.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

[​IMG]

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Welcome! I would use it as mulch around the shrubs, not in the coop or run. I think that there's a toxicity problem, but not sure. Just be cautious. Mary

4. flashmayo

flashmayo New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    It sure stings when you get a redwood splinter under your fingernail.
    So pine is the preferred material for run and coop bedding?

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Yes, pine is best, and available at farm stores in bales. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by