Is Road Salt Safe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Juise, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Juise

Juise Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    I almost slipped on an icy patch in the driveway today, so without giving it any thought, I went in, grabbed the road salt, and scattered it over the icy patch. When I went back out later and walked past the area, the combination of salt and chicken prints all over the snow struck an alarm in my brain.

Chickens + Salt = Bad. Will they eat the road salt?

It was not really possible to tell whether or not they had eaten any, and if they did, there (as far as I know,) isn't anything I can do about it now, except prevent further issues. They walked all through it, but they walked all over the place, so that doesn't really mean anything...

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I wouldnt worry about it.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Salt is a natural mineral so I don't think the little amount if your chickens did get hold of any would hurt them. They probably would have a difficult time breaking it up to make it small enough to swallow anyway and would eventually just give up on it.

4. Juise

Juise Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, you know, arsenic is naturally occurring, too! [​IMG] Just sayin.

They free range, though, so if I am using it on my driveway and walk, there is more than a "little amount" they have access too, you know what I mean? It is amply available. Here in Michigan, we slather the whole state with salt in the Winter. [​IMG]

It's not in ginormous chunks, I mean, I wouldn't sprinkle it on my eggs, but it certainly much smaller than a frog, which I have seen them swallow whole before. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by