Is Rocking something you see with all hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 30, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    8 silky eggs down to 5, now down to 4

Day 16

I see some people talking about rocking of the eggs...what day do you usually see this and does it happen with all eggs?

thanks

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    It must depend on the flooring in your incubator. Mine has a sponge foam pad, and I've NEVER seen anything "rocking" prior to hatch, and I've hatched probably 250-300 eggs in the past 2 seasons.

I bet they "rock" if they're on a wire screen in a foam 'bator.

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've only seen maybe 1 in 10 of my eggs rocking before they hatch. That's on a wire mesh floor.

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I have seen some rock and heard some chirp while others don't. I always wonder what the difference is [​IMG]

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Loudmouths and shrinking violets? [​IMG]

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:Loudmouths and shrinking violets? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Well, so much for that theory. I just remember from close to 20 years ago when I was using a foam 'bator with a wire screen floor that eggs rolled around every time there was so much as a vibration in the room. Opening the lid made them roll all over. [​IMG]

Why I wasn't smart enough to put them in cartons or do something else to prevent this is beyond me???[​IMG]

I guess its like Forest Gump said "Stupid is as stupid does."

8. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I have 40 eggs in the incubator and only a small percentage of them are rocking occasionally. I'm glad to hear that not all eggs will rock as it gives me hope of maybe getting a couple more during this hatch. Well, if I didn't already kill all of them trying to get the humidity correct. [​IMG]

9. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    On the day before my eggs hatch a little sign shows up on the egg that says, "If the egg is rockin' Don't come knockin'" I just haven't figured out how they get that sign out there yet.

Oh, I'm just kidding. I've never had eggs that made it to hatch before. Don't ask me how I come up with that stuff. That I have some dane bramage is all I can tell you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by