Is Ruth a boy? **PICTURES AND UPDATE ON PAGE 2!**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aoxa, Nov 27, 2011.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

If I want my Ruth (male name to be determined yet) to have enough ducks to keep him satisfied (without hurting my chickens), how many is the minimum? I already have one female muscovy, but one isn't enough, right? I am almost positive that Ruth is a he because of the sound of his voice.

[​IMG] He/she has taken to chasing around my mutt chicken grabbing on to her neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the quality of some of the images.. Hope it's enough to tell me if Ruth is not a Ruth at all. He has a silver belly with a darkened head.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Does he have the telltale drake feather that sticks up and curls at the base of his tail? upper side. and maybe a couple more girls should make him happy. when he quacks is it raspy or a loud quack?

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  4. aoxa

Quote:Does he have the telltale drake feather that sticks up and curls at the base of his tail? upper side. and maybe a couple more girls should make him happy. when he quacks is it raspy or a loud quack?

It sounds whispery. Exactly like the fist one here.

The tail feathers aren't quite that curled, but they do go up a little like it will curl soon. I have no idea on the exact age. Just know it was this summer sometime that she/he was born.

5. aoxa

Quote:Sounds more like the boy than the girl, but really doesn't sound like either [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Sounds more like the boy than the girl, but really doesn't sound like either [​IMG]

you might have to give him/her more time. and the going after your chickens doesn't mean it wants to mate with them just maybe a dominance thing, my ducks[girls and drakes] will grab a chicken if given the chance.

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Sorry to say. But you have a drake. Look at its head. Its getting all green [​IMG]

8. aoxa

you might have to give him/her more time. and the going after your chickens doesn't mean it wants to mate with them just maybe a dominance thing, my ducks[girls and drakes] will grab a chicken if given the chance.

I would keep him/her no matter what. It just means how many more do I 'have' to add. [​IMG]

She seems to be picking on one specific chicken. Only one out of 18. That one decided to go broody today too [​IMG]

9. aoxa

Quote:That's one of the reasons I thought that too. It's okay if she is a he. I just want to know. That and I want to know how many does one drake need. Roosters need lots to keep them happy, so is it the same with ducks?

ETA: The head is much shinier than the pictures show. Very blue/green looking.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  10. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Quote:That doesn't mean it's a boy at all, I have a little mixed breed female thats head is green.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by