Is s/he a Roo? -- 4 wk old Gold Laced Wyandotte

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by siouxbee, May 29, 2007.

1. siouxbee

siouxbee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Hi all --

I've had my eye on Speck here for a couple of weeks. the comb and wattles seem significantly more red than those on my girl Rosie. Now I'm starting to feel sure, even though their combs are both still pretty flat. The color just seems different. Plus Speck, while the same size as Rosie, seems to be feathering out quicker.

Am I jumping the gun? Can those of you who have had this breed clue me in?

This is a shot of Rosie in front, with Speck in back sleeping.
    [​IMG]

And here we have Rosie showing off her new feathers.
    [​IMG]

Head on of Rosie, tho with the flash it's hard to tell the color of her comb, and her wattles do look more red than I'd thought.
    [​IMG]

And now, drumroll please, here's a head-on shot of Speck, my suspected roo.
    [​IMG]

I've just picked up four straight run Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, so I'm really hoping that speck's not a roo. I can perhaps get away with keeping one very quiet, polite rooster (tee hee -- does such a thing exist?) but more than that, I'm thinking is trouble. And did I mention I've got two silkies that were straight run too? Argh!

Any opinions on Speck's gender?

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Probably is a roo, I got 3 GLW and 2 SLW last spring as day old chicks. By two or three weeks old, one of the SLW chicks had a noticeable red comb and wattles like yours while the others were barely noticeable. It didn't take long to confirm it.

I had to put him down a few weeks ago. Although we have a dozen hens he was treading out all their feathers and they were looking absolutely terrible. He was developing an attitude and his spurs were starting to sharpen up. I tried to find a new home for him but nobody wanted him.

3. haleyluna

haleyluna Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    oklahoma city
    oh, this is exactly what i was looking for! i have a 4wk old glw that i'm trying to sex (i have no other glw to compare it to), and i was just asking for someone to post pictures of one! the only difference is, mine is a banty. i'm hoping for a hen, and your post gives me hoooope. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by