Is Saffron a boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dedicateddourly, Jul 3, 2010.

1. dedicateddourly

dedicateddourly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    This is my 6-wk old RIR Saffron. For a long time I've had the sinking feeling that she is actually a he, though I'm definitely no expert. She stands more upright that my Delaware and my EE, and her feathering isn't as full. The tail feathers also aren't as full. Maybe she is just a late-bloomer? The comb is also more red. She is very friendly and seeks affection. She just SEEMS different from the other two girls ( I assume they're girls!).

What do you all think?

Pardon the messy face. She's in the middle of eating yogurt. Also, I think her comb keeps rubbing against the inner edges of the holes in her feeder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Renee

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Boy

3. dedicateddourly

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Thanks for your response, ve. Can you tell me specifically why you think Saffron is a boy (I'm still learning!)? And are you sure?

Are there any other thoughts out there?

And Happy 4th everyone!

4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I'm going to say cockerel, although it may be a bit soon to tell.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I say wait a few weeks. I have a late feathering RIR also who is now nine weeks and looks to be a pullet. his/her comb hasn't changed since six weeks and is still mostly yellow. Just wait two more weeks and take another pic and then we'll be more sure. [​IMG].

6. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree that you should give it a few more weeks. I have a RIR/Wyandotte cross pullet that developed a yellow comb like that early. The boys in the group didn't start showing saddle/hackle feathers and bigger combs/waddles until they were about 10 weeks old.

Good luck! and Happy 4th!

Melissa

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My RIR chick scared me, too. She IS more "upright" and she also has black (beetle-green in the sun) tail feathers, and yellow comb that was larger than the other breeds at her age. I'd wait a few more weeks before trying to guess Saffron's sex for certain.

8. dedicateddourly

Jun 20, 2008
    Fallbrook, CA
    Thanks for all the responses. I guess it really is just a waiting game. Please, oh please, let her be a girl. She's already my favorite. If she turns out to be a cockerel, I already have thoughts of diapers and sharing a bed with my cats and dog. Hehe, yeah, like that will ever happen.

9. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    i say boy. sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by