Is Save-A-Chick OK for all chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alessadry, Mar 8, 2017.

1. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    So I got 17 chicks shipped this morning. I gave them warm water and sugar and now just warm water. There is one chick that arrived weak, with eyes closed. Now eyes are open, but won't eat or drink like the others. I got her to eat a bit of egg yolk mixed with starter feed and dipped her beak in water and she seemed like she swallowed a bit. I have Sav-a-chick I got at my store and would like to add it to their water, but wondering if it's OK if all chicks get this, even the healthy ones?

I cannot separate due to only having a heat lamp, and by the time I go to the store they will be closed.

Also, it says on the package to give sav-a-chick mixed solution and another container with just plain drinking water, but from what I read here many use it alone.

Lastly, it says to mix the solution with cool water, but chicks need warm water, so would that be fine? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It's fine for them all to have it, yes.

If you can get back to that store quick and get some poultry Nutri Drench, that'd be even better. A drop or two of it might perk her up.

1 person likes this.
  3. Yes, it is okay for all the chicks to drink it. Try using a dropper to drop a little bit of water on the side of the chicks beak. If it looks like the chick is getting any worse, put nutri-drench in their water. If you don't have nutri drench, put 1/3 cup of Unfiltered Apple Cider Vineagar (the Bragg brand is best) in 1 quart of water. Is their feed medicated? Make sure not to put more than one thing in the water at a time. Maybe switch out daily? If anybody is helpful to you, you can thumbs up their post.

1 person likes this.
  4. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    No, their feed is not medicated I guess because it's organic chick starter "Nature's Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower Crumbles". I bought medicated chick feed a few years back and 2 chicks got an annoying allergic reaction itching horribly until I switched to organic. I have Bragg's vinegar on hand, which is better Bragg's vinegar or Sav-a-chick? thanks!

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I'm curious..why do you say/think chicks need warm water?

6. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    The hatchery's instructions say to give warm water for the first 2 days to help them prevent getting chilled from drinking too much chilled water at once I guess. The first water given they say needs to be at 98 degrees, then just warm for the next day or two.,I guess this applies just to shipped chicks and the stress they go through.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  7. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    O wow..I have never heard this before.

What is your climate?

8. alessadry

Mar 3, 2011
    From : https://www.cacklehatchery.com/chick-care-instructions quoted:"We recommend for the first day to have the drinking water at 98 degrees (or very warm) because the birds are small with little weight to them on arrival. They will drink a lot of water, which if too cool, can rapidly decrease their body temperature and put them into shock or make them sick"

Chicks come from Missouri and we are in Arizona.

9. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Thank you!

10. I would start with the Saveachick. If the chick starts to get worse start using the apple cider vineagar. Or just switch it out every day or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by