Is saying "thank you" so difficult?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by country lady, Mar 4, 2009.

1. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I have a couple of close relatives who are losing several hundred dollars every year because they receive gift checks and have the "inability" to email two or three powerful little words: "Thank you" or "I got it." When a "thank you" is uttered, all I say is "You're welcome" --- not exactly wordy!

These people DO want the checks and I enjoy sharing. I have lived simply and frugally all my life. I'm by no means rich, but I don't need or want material things at my age. The checks get smaller every birthday and Christmas!

What am I missing; aren't nice manners taught anymore? Is this common in your families?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I will say thank you if you send em to me.....
    [​IMG]

3. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Looke em in the eye and say your welcome. [​IMG]

4. Bullet

Bullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    Quote:Me too!!! [​IMG]

Yeah I know how you feel, my family is not all that great at being thankful themselves

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    One of the daughters couldn't be bothered to come for Christmas or come by since. She lost her gift card she wanted so badly. (I put it toward my KitchenAid mixer.)

Those that can't say "thank you" get a card next time. If they ask why no gift, I say "well, I figured you didn't like the CASH since you never said thank you.

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I like it when they call me tell me it is their birthday! So much more personal! Last time I sent chickens home with them to deliver for me and they were to keep the $ for their birthdays. I had a great-aunt that sent cologne every Christmas; she has been gone for over 10 years and I will have cologne until I die! I think of her every time I use it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  7. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I really dont think manners are being taught these days. I know so many rude young people who think they "deserve" what they get or have.

Find someone else who appreciates your gifts and generosity

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's all in the teaching, I guess. My mother made my sister and I write thank you cards every time we received a gift. I taught my own sons the same way, though, of course, once they are out of my "jurisdiction", I cant control what they do or dont do. I do not think that common courtesy is being as widely taught as it used to be.

9. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I have a 4 year old girl and you can be darn tootin she is leaning to say her courtesies.

When she was about 2 years old, we were in the restroom at a resteraunt (sp?) and a ladie in the next stall sneezed. My little girl said 'Bless You! The lady said Thank-you and you could hear the amazement in her voice.

She has already figured out you get more reward with adults for saying 'excuse me, thank-you, ect'.

One time I forgot to say Bless you to her when she sneezed. She promtly corrected me by saying "Bless you me, Mommy". She said it so fast I had to ask her what she said, and finally I understood. LOL I had forgotten to say Bless You to her.

10. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    I taught my two sons to say "thank you" too. My generous sister kept a note that she mentions from time-to-time when we both complain about a relative. My son was just learning to write and began his note: "Dear "Ant" _____." Speckledhen you are right, though, we have no control over grown children--all we can do is teach.

Terri, I like your style and I'm going to copy it. After reading the posts raving about a KitchenAid mixer, I'm going to treat myself. I've hesitated forever because I wondered if I would use it all that much in my small kitchen. Now I am going to bite the bullet and buy one. So, these relatives can just kiss my ole patoot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by