1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is seipel a pattern?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Trefoil, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Exactly what does it refer to?

2. pedda munnangi

pedda munnangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2012
    Hi, I think seipel spalding is a cross between blackshoulder and spalding. with two blackshoulder genes. Named after a person SEIPEL who bred successfully first.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. Yoda

Yoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Shady Hills, FL
    Does anyone have a picture? Never heard of it before. I was looking at the colors brad legg has on his site. love the taupe color and would like to see the violete in person cause they don't show up to well in his pictures.

4. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    George conner has pics of a hen on his site, maybe he can put some input into the origins?

5. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    The Seipel pattern refers to the vertical lines of black in the breast feathers of a female black shoulder pattern. I think this was something that showed up in work that Jack Seipel in AZ. done . This was about 30 or so yrs. ago..I breed some every year because I like them, some are darker and fuller than others,,, why ?? in the genes I guess.. The males are very hard to identify so when you get one that breeds this pattern keep track of him. The one I use is a midnigtht BS . I work for a darker stripe and more of them but it is hard to build on this pattern. .Pedda could be correct but I have never seen a spalding BS with this pattern. A few breeders have them because they like the way they look.. George

6. Trefoil

Dec 7, 2011
    Thanks. Do you have any pictures showing the seipel pattern?

7. Trefoil

Dec 7, 2011
    Lovely, Thanks. How early does it show up?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  8. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Before they are a year old. George

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by