Is sevin dust really safe for chickens? (permethrin and de)

Morgan951

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
20
0
34
The list of cautions is so lengthy. I found some at home depot but didnt buy it for mite treatment, because I dont want to hurt my chickens. If I cant breathe it in, why can they? I bought some diatomaceous earth and some other powder i found at wilco, permethrin. I read on here both these work. How should I use them together? Permethrin and de, i mean.
 

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Nov 27, 2008
28,250
15,744
956
Glen St Mary, Florida
We've been using sevin dust since the 60's in our vegetable gardens, on our dogs, and on my chickens for the last 12 years or so. I'm still here typing.
I dont recommend eating sevin dust or any other type of dust neither. Use common sense and wear a mask when dusting, the same is true for DE, poultry dust, etc...
Birds always shake themselves off and go about their business no matter what type of dust you use on them.
 

Justuschicks

Songster
9 Years
Sep 19, 2010
511
23
121
Keswick, Virginia
I have used it and have found it works better than other dusts. I have found that mixing the liquid in a spray bottle and spot treating on the bird works well, especially for mites. Just soak the infested areas. The dust is so messy. I find the liquid isn't as easy to get even coverage but does work real well and is easier to control. During the summer I have used a dip on my birds. Makes it easy to figure out which have been done since they look like drowned rats. lol When you have a lot of birds this is real helpful and much quicker than dusting. The product is Premerin 10 or something like that. I use a 5 gal bucket and dip up to the neck and use my finger to massage some of the solution into the head feathers.
 

ChickensRDinos

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
2,242
240
208
Los Angeles
Sevin is a chemical can carbaryl that is a neuro toxin. It is classified as a likely human carcinogen by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). It is toxic and bad for the environment and is illegal in a number of countries. It is commonly used in the US on crops but is not approved for use on poultry or any other animals. It is not good to breath in at all.

It works great. It will be far more effective than other dusts available and it is not going to make you or your chickens drop dead. That is all true. But, it is nasty stuff and is devastating to wild bee and other helpful insect populations. It is also EXTREMELY and terribly toxic in water and kills crustaceans and aquatic invertebrates like crazy.

I would recommend doing a little reading about it and deciding for yourself. There are compelling arguments for and against its use. I personally have decided not to use it and use DE instead. It is not as effective and requires more effort on my part but I feel better about putting it into my environment and onto myself.
 
Last edited:

ChickensRDinos

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
2,242
240
208
Los Angeles
Diatomaceous Earth is made of naturally occurring rock material that is actually fossilized algae and plant material. It works by absorbing moisture in whatever it touches. It kills insects (work best on those with exoskeletons) but drying them out and thus killing them. It is safe to ingest but can cause dehydration. Because it is a fine powder it also not good to breath into your lungs so I would still wear a mask. It is not the most effective pesticide but it nontoxic to you and all your animals.

I have never used or read much about permethin as I have been happy with DE. I don't think mixing would be an issue but I would read a little more to be safe.
 
Last edited:

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Nov 27, 2008
28,250
15,744
956
Glen St Mary, Florida
Diatomaceous Earth is made of naturally occurring rock material that is actually fossilized algae and plant material. It works by absorbing moisture in whatever it touches. It kills insects (work best on those with exoskeletons) but drying them out and thus killing them. It is safe to ingest but can cause dehydration. Because it is a fine powder it also not good to breath into your lungs so I would still wear a mask. It is not the most effective pesticide but it nontoxic to you and all your animals.

I have never used or read much about permethin as I have been happy with DE. I don't think mixing would be an issue but I would read a little more to be safe.

FYI: Scroll down to the bottom of this link and read what the ingredients of sevin dust are:
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19022001
 

ChickensRDinos

Songster
7 Years
Aug 19, 2012
2,242
240
208
Los Angeles
I understand the ingredients and that it is a very small amount. I still choose not use it. Like I said, there are good arguments for and against that product. It does not make that particular chemical any more pleasant to me. I think it good to understand what you are using, how it works and what it does.
 

Morgan951

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
20
0
34
Im trying the De first, although it is a small amount of toxins in the sevin dust, Im trying a more natural approach first. If it doesnt work, Ill use the sevin! Thanks Guys!
 

Chullicken

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 10, 2016
980
3,514
372
Dorchester, NH
Just started using Sevin dust, it's horribly messy. I had been using DE as a preventative, but recently I've come across a few patches of Northern Fowl Mites. DE is great 'helping', but won't cure.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom