Is Sevin Dust Still safe?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TherryChicken, Oct 9, 2015.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Is Sevin Dust Still safe for poultry? Or did I completely miss something??

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I still use it, or at least some form of poultry dust, I personally think it's safer than DE.

3. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Thank you!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sevin has been recently put on a lifetime withdrawal for poultry meat and eggs by USDA....
    ......stuffs always been one of the worst IMO. 'Safe' is a relative term.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Use permethrin dust instead, as it's still approved for poultry. Skip the carbaryl. Mary

6. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Yes, this is true. If it's not safe for the meat/egg industry, why would anyone want to use it on your backyard chickens? Let's also not forget that DDT was considered safe not that many years ago.

Permethrin/pyrethrin are "safer" alternatives, but this are still very toxic substances. It is a very very fine dust...of which any fine dust is not good to breathe. It is also very toxic to nearly all insects, including beneficial ones like bees. I use it not routinely but only if I end up with a mite/lice problem. I'll don a good dust mask and then use it directly on the roosts, but will mix it 1:5 (dust to ashes) with wood ash to dust the birds directly (again, only if needed). The instructions included with my pyrethrin claim it is "safe" to dust poultry directly, but I don't trust that...I tend to be much conservative in chemical use than the instructions suggest.

That said, the first time we had a mite/lice issue, I had no pyrethrin dust handy and I simply used pine wood ash from our wood stove. I dusted each of them thoroughly, especially around their vents. One treatment was all it took for a cure for most of the birds. A few of them needed a 2nd treatment 10 days later. I also now dump a small pile of wood ash in their run and mix it in with the dirt/bedding so they can do it themselves. In fact, once I am through this bottle of pyrethrin dust (it's expensive stuff), I doubt I will buy another. Or I may just keep the bottle for many years for the times of when I "really need it".

7. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    We've used it and neve withdrawal eggs. We still eat them. Play sand is better to help pests? Then use boiling hot water for ant piles?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by