Is Sevin ok around geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bel, Jul 8, 2010.

1. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    I need to do something about the bugs near the goose pen, is it ok to use the liquid sevin hose sprayer around there? (I will move them and their food and water to another area when its being done)

2. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    My opinion-boo bad Sevin! What kind of bugs? Good bugs or bad bugs? Flies? More info needed! There might be many alternatives-keep posting.

3. jennifer@couplandtx.org

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    I have dusted Sevin in the chicken coop where the Geese spend the night, after removing food & water, then spreading a layer of hay on top. they seem to be doing fine and my vet said to use Sevin also.jennifer

4. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Flies, earwigs, something that looks like mini grasshoppers but they bite, slugs, lawn grubs, black beetles, and white flies. Other parts of the yard many bugs are controlled with coffee, tinys snakes, lizards and slender salamander, but the reptiles and salamanders all avoid the are next to the goose run. The top of the list is the flies, and those mini grasshopper bugs, they get into the house when they get the chance.
    I'm cleaning up after the geese a lot and put down shavings in their favorite areas but the fly population this year is nuts.

I heard Muscovies help get rid of flies, is that true? maybe I need a couple of those.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  5. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Muscovies are GREAT for bug reduction!
    I have experienced greatly reduced numbers of flies and mosquitoes since getting Muscovies.
    I would NEVER spray or dust with sevin around poultry or waterfowl because geese are grazers and could
    very possible eat any vegetation that has the Sevin on it.
    They also sift through soil so even if you haven't sprayed any vegetation there's still a risk.

6. zippy3

zippy3 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Hi. Personally, I wouldn't use Sevin spray (or most of the other bug killers out there). Take a few minutes to look up the toxicity of the active ingredient and make up your mind for yourself.
    I had a lot of trouble with red mites late this summer and was very tempted to use something to get rid of the problem once and for all and fast. But, in thinking about my beautiful ducks and geese sitting in their house with a possible carcinogen with a "moderately" toxic label on it (or eating something with that on it), I decided I would try a more moderate aproach, but which might take more time and more work.
    I removed all bedding and hosed their house out every day for 3 days. I used Poultry Protector spray (potasium sorbate), which is safe, but kills fleas, lice, mites and their eggs. On the 3rd day, once their house was dry, I dusted diatomaceous earth generously into every crack and crevice and onto their new bedding and I rubbed the diatomaceous earth into the wood around the feeding troughs.
    The mite population went steadily down over that week and now I think it is under control. I don't kid myself that I have eradicated all the mites, but at least the little vampires have to crawl over the diatomaceaous earth to get to my girls (and gander).

I agree about the ducks...ducks will eat anything...my flock of 8 has taken out nearly all the slugs, snails and grasshoppers in my yard and I haven't had much of fly problem either. We have also seen them dismember and eat baby mice and frogs.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I would try DE before Sevin dust. I have read that Sevin can be toxic to waterfowl, but am having trouble finding reliable info to back up that claim. In any case, I would not use Sevin because it is highly toxic to honey bees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesticide_toxicity_to_bees

8. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    I grew up with Sevin. I have to be honest, there is nothing good about it. It kills the good with the bad and unfortunately, if you kill both, you will have a worse infestation later. I think Mother Earth News did an article on this a couple issues back.

I use a couple things to keep my bug problem down.

I use chickens and Muscovy ducks for garden bug management. Also, my mosquito are managed well with the ducks. I put ash out around my pen so the chickens can dust in it. The lyme helps keep the mites down to manageable. I will tell you this though, I can't or at least haven't found how to keep the mites managed completely without chemical help so when the mites get nasty, I use Adam's Tick and Flea. It is very effective and I just spray around the vent and the legs. I also spray around the back and neck. This solves any problems that may come up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by