Is sexing a chick at 3 weeks too early?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by XilverAngel, Sep 28, 2011.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    I have a couple of chicks that are almost 3 weeks old, and i really do not know the sex of a couple of them. I was wondering if three weeks would be old enough to tell the sex, if so, then i will post some pics. If not then i guess i will wait a few more weeks before i actually throw the question out there. Any ideas?

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    A chick at 3 weeks is still too young to tell. Perhaps you should wait awhile until they grow some more then post images of them.

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    It all depends on a bunch of different things - go ahead and post pictures and let people take a guess - no harm in trying!

4. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    i think it depends on the breed of the bird. some are easily sexed by knowledgeable chiken peeps. others are harder or you just have to wait. i know BR's can sometimes be sexed at hatch by the spots on the head... [​IMG]

5. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    i have 3 chicks that i believe have a father that is a black sex-link roo. All 3 of them hatched out with a white spot on the head. One was an obvious white spot and all black, one was an elongated white spot on the head, with a surrounding color of brown, and then the body is black, and the third had a whiter spot on its head, and its neck was a grayish white (this one also has a black body). OH and the two i mentioned that were not completely black had also whites on their wings when hatched. They are now all barring and the two non-solid black ones have a little other coloring on their breasts (they're mutts). Does the barring still mean they are boys?

6. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    Quote:not nessasarily. idk of a specific breed that a barred chicken would mean roo..... BUT that doesnt mean there isnt either. im not SUPER smart about chickens yet. so you have pictures? or know from where you got them what they said they might be? that might help if you psot pictures as well.

7. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Nope

8. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    I do have pics, but only of them at around 2 weeks, they are 3 weeks this saturday/sunday. So if you would like i could post a pic of what one of them looks like, so you can get the idea of what i mean by the coloring and barring, but you probably would not be able to tell their genders....

9. XilverAngel

Jun 28, 2009
    Here is a link to the pics that i posted a while ago asking for help

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=575686

the third and fourth pictures are of the chicks that are not fully black. The one that is fully black (well it was when it hatched) can be seen next to the white chick in the second pic. it's on the left.

10. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Sex link only works on the first generation. The barring sex-link works if the hen is barred the the rooster isn't. Female decides the gender (opposite of people).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by