1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she a Americana chicken?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dangeralley, Mar 26, 2009.

1. dangeralley

dangeralley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    Okay we bought she from a breeder, and he said he didn't have any americana chickens, so I got the weiredest one I could find. And now that I look at more pics of them I want to she she is an americana chicken. Oh she was 10 days old when we got her and now she's about 7 weeks old.Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]
    <br>
    [​IMG]

<br>

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Columbian Rock?

3. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    Why would you think Ameraucana if he said he didn't have any? Does not look like Ameraucana to me.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    She could be an EE...they come in all kinds of colors...but she could be something else too. [​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    What did the breeder say she was?

6. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Looks like a mutt to me. POSSIBLY an EE, POSSIBLY.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If the breeder said he didn;t have any ameraucanas, then I am sure he didn't. And he would probably have mentioned that he had Easter Eggers, so I doubt that. There are many,many breeds of chickens, and you can get a mix from any two different breed parents, so expecting that a random mutt will be an Easter Egger is pretty pointless.

If from a breeder, I expect that it is actually a breed. From the colouring, a silver-something-or-other.

If you want an ameraucana or an Easter Egger, you need to get one that is advertised as such, not just hope that a puppy will be a kitten instead, to make an analogy.

8. dangeralley

dangeralley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Richmond, KY
    He said he had Black Stars, Golden Comets, Plymoth Rock, and thats what we got. And we have 3 baby Americanas, Black Australorps, RIR, Cornish, White Rock.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Then that is a black star cockerel. He should grow up to be a very handsome fella.

Congrats on your new baby Easter Eggers [​IMG]

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    What kind of comb does she have? Is it a flat pea comb, or is it straight like the combs on the other chicks from the same seller?

She doesn't look like a black star, golden comet, or barred rock. Male black sexlinks look like barred rocks and are dark as babies. Is it possible the seller had columbian rocks for sale and she's a columbian rock instead of a barred rock (like Mahroni suggested)? They have straight combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by