is she a boy??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by snazzyboots, Apr 29, 2011.

1. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    this is my 3 week old ee. i was thinking (hoping) it is a girl based on feather development. she was very quick to get feathers. along with 2 others. the rest had theirs come in much slower. i sold all but two chicks so i can't post pics of them to compare but this one's legs are thinner than the others were. however she is a very dominant bird and also holds her tail feathers in a very rooish way. at least from pics i've seen. any thoughts would be appreciated. the comb is still yellow. no pink. couldn't get pics of it. she was being very uncooperative for the pics [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what do y'all think? pullet or cockerel??

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Can't see the comb to tell. I don't see anything in the pic that makes me say "boy", but it may be too early. Wide combs are usually the males in pea combed breeds, but not 100% of the time.

3. snazzyboots

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i know i really wanted to get a pic of the comb but couldn't. hubby was handing out meal worms [​IMG] the comb is very flat and yellow. i was really wondering about how she/he holds the tail feathers. does that mean anything?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, that isn't a reliable indicator of the sex of a chick that young.

5. snazzyboots

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    awesome. then there is hope. thanks for that [​IMG] i really dig this chick

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    S/He is still a bit too young to tell. Post more pics in about 3 weeks and we can tell ya! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by