Is she a Cornflake or a Fog?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by D_Mom549, Dec 4, 2010.

1. D_Mom549

D_Mom549 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2010
    Florida
    I have four 9 1/2 week old pullets that I bought from someone who had ordered a large pullet run. She listed that she had several varieties including Welsummers and Partridge Rocks, both of which I wanted so I went to pick out two of each. When I got there she said they'd done an assortment and she knew for a fact that she had at least four breeds but didn't know all of them. I picked out two that I could tell were PRs and then I picked out two obviously chipmunked chicks. From the beginning the two chipmunked chicks were different, one was bigger and lighter than the other one. As time has gone on those differences have grown more obvious. Yesterday I got a good look at the smaller darker one and noticed how huge her comb was and I panicked thinking I had a roo, I already have two. I checked her and didn't notice any pointy saddle feathers or sickle feathers coming in and I figured she was just a different color. Well today we were moving them between coops and I pointed her out to my husband; but in the sunlight with her head eye level to me, I noticed something glaringly obvious: she has white ears. Somehow I have missed this little tidbit for the past 9 1/2 weeks! When you're assuming you have a scrawny Welsummer or a roo, you aren't checking their ears. So... I'm posting pics mostly to confirm what I realized instantly upon that white ear, I grabbed a Welsummer and an almost identical (to me) at one day old Brown Leghorn. Which if she is I'm totally ok with because I want a more colorful basket, I just feel like a complete dunce : P

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry the pictures aren't the best. My husband had a hard time holding her, she's wiggly! ^.^

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    Yep you got it right the second time around. Definitely a girl! [​IMG] yay for
    girls!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She'll add nice white eggs to your basket, and they lay great! Usually a little scatty, though [​IMG]

4. D_Mom549

D_Mom549 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks guys! That's what I figured! The best part about it though is I ordered some chicks from McMurray that are coming early February, and I ordered a Leghorn because I wanted a white egg layer! I'm going to call and change my order to include a Dark Brahma instead. I've been wanting one soooo bad. So everything will work out great! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by