Is she a Faverolle? And is she a she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eringudge, Apr 3, 2016.

1. eringudge

eringudge Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Oregon
    We got this mystery chick for free, because they didn't know her breed. :) We call her Fancy. She has five toes and feathered legs/feet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like a Faverolle. And with the dark feathers coming in on the chest, it's a cockerel.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Agreed. Pullets dont get those black feathers...

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I'm leaning towards pullet. It is not unusual for hatchery pullets to be mismarked, and have black flecking in the chest and beard. I can see white on most of the chest. The back looks to be more evenly colored than a cockerel's would be also. Are the leg feathers white or black?

5. eringudge

Apr 3, 2016
    Oregon
    The chest feathers are brown, not black. I guess the coloring is hard to tell from the photos. She doesn't have black anywhere, just dark brown. Her leg feathers are white. I'm only calling her a her because it sounds funny to me. :)

6. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Rooster.

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It's a pullet.

8. eringudge

Apr 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I know that only time will tell for sure, but this chick also has blueish feathers close to the body... We'll see what comes in the next couple of weeks, I guess! I'm not going to lie, I hope she is a girl, because she's my favorite!

9. eringudge

Apr 3, 2016
    Oregon
    [​IMG]
    I don't know if this helps at all for her color, the photo is still pretty yellow, but I didn't want to over color correct it. She is next to one of our buff orps and one of our bprs. No black at all, just a dark brown. She is super awkward looking right now and goofy and so mellow and sweet. She falls asleep on me when I hold her. I will get more pics of her in natural light instead of under the warming lamp.

10. eringudge

Apr 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Here are some photos away from the red warming light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by