Is she a he? Again...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TinyChickenLady, Aug 18, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

I've posted before but things have changed. I have a 5 week old RIR, Dot and "she" has been making a noise that sounds like a "caw" at 5:30 the past two mornings. Is "she" trying to crow? If so, I need to change her name to either Doug or DoDo. Any ideas and votes on names would be much appreciated [​IMG] Thanks for your help.

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Where are the pics!?!?!?

3. TinyChickenLady

[​IMG]
    This is the best I have right now. I have a better one of "her" comb and wattles at home. I'll try to add it later. This is Dot trying to take the camera. She is a little more aggresive than Fluff (who I'm sure is a lady LoL) but I just can't tell yet. I thought they were too young to crow but Dot is cawwing so I'm not sure.

4. TinyChickenLady

[​IMG]
    Kind of a side view of "her." Dot is the darker one. Fluff is the lighter one.

5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You might very well have a cockerel there. I wouldn't expect to see wattles on a 5 week old pullet.

6. TinyChickenLady

Haha great. Thanks for your help. I still love him to death. I just don't wanna keep calling him Dorothy if he's a Doug or DoDo. LoL BTW, any input on the new name?

7. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Uhmm.. thats not a RIR. Lol
    Atleast ive never seen one like that. It might be a brown leghorn?

8. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I think it is a Black Sex Link if it is a pullet. The coloration looks right.

9. TinyChickenLady

Haha I'm still trying to figure out what they are to be honest. RIR is just what I was told. Hopefully when they're a bit more grown they'll be easier to identify.

10. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Well it's still a chicken, whatever breed it is... [​IMG] His name should be Douglas Chickarthur.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by