1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she a he? Possible rooster. -pictures-

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cupman, May 6, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    These barred rock chickens are just shy of one month old. I have been reading around and it sounds like I could have a rooster. I hope it's a hen but what can you do? I've heard the lighter colored barred rock can indicate a rooster, but I've also heard people have light barred rock that lay. Anyways here are the pictures of the 2 barred rock side by side. with a couple other girls poking their heads in for the camera.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I am not sure how to tell with barred rocks..But the one on the right has a larger

comb, which could be a sign of a male bird.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yep, looks like you have a pair.. one of each. The one on the left has the bigger redder comb and is lighter in color, both which indicates a cockeral.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  4. egg_tastic

egg_tastic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    NC Foothills
    Agree, the BR on the left is lighter in color with a larger/redder comb. Rooster!

5. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    looks like a roo to me

6. tiffanyg2

tiffanyg2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    SC
    The one on the left looks Roo! Kinda like mine~ and watch out for the one on the right my second (supposed) Roo came in a little slower but was real bright red and smaller [​IMG]

Good Luck!

7. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Well shucks. I don't live inside the city so I can probably keep it. How many hens per rooster? I have 13 chickens, only one rooster so far counting this guy. If I were to hatch some eggs he fertilized that belonged to a Rhode Island red would that be fine? Does it come out looking like a mutt? Anyways, thank you all for the help. I hope this is my only rooster!

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, the lighter one is a boy.

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Yep, the one on the left is male.

10. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    You have a cockerel (on left) and a pullet (on right). As to your question, you would want to have at most 15 hens per rooster to ensure fertility. (and cross-breeding him would be just fine if you don't want to show your chickens)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by