Is she a he?!?! [Updated with PICS]

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by misspoppins, Mar 4, 2009.

1. misspoppins

misspoppins Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Alabama
    I ordered 8 Buff Orps 2 weeks ago, and I got 9. I didn't think anything of it...but now I'm wondering if that little packing peanut could be a rooster!

The only thing that leads me to believe this is because s/he is MUCH bigger than the others (BUT I actually have TWO big ones....that are MUCH bigger than the others!), and a comb is statring to form (at 2 weeks old...is that unusual?), and the bigger ones have a different kind of call. When I pick up the little ones they say "Cheep, cheep cheep" but when I pick up one of the two huge ones, the say "Bawk! Bawk! Bawk!" (okay, I know that was really weird, but it's the only way I can explain it. Basically it's deeper).

So what do y'all think? Just early blooming hens, or is it what I think it is? lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Pics would help a lot [​IMG] It's not possible to tell the difference by cheeping.

3. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    pics! pics! [​IMG]

4. misspoppins

Nov 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Okay, I updated with pics! [​IMG]

5. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow! [​IMG] That is a big difference! I'm sorry but I'm no pro when it come to sexing, but I would guess your bigger ones are boys--maybe someone else knows better. They're beautiful chicks!

6. silentrunning

silentrunning Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    My two week old B.O.s look more like normal chick. None of them have the comb that you large one has. They are feathered out more like normal chick too. I think you either have a rooster or a chick from the SciFi channel. [​IMG]

Doug

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That looks like the size difference between my layers and broilers at 2wks old.

8. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I am new but with the size of that comb. My first thought is roo.

9. misspoppins

Nov 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Uh oh. O_O

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not only does he look like a baby roo, but if he was a packing peanut chances are good that he is a baby roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by