Is she a he???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sweetlime, May 5, 2009.

1. sweetlime

sweetlime New Egg

May 5, 2009
    Hi everyone:

I have three baby chicks, about 3 weeks old. One of them is an Amercauna, and is MUCH larger than the other two. She also is the only one who doesn't like to be picked up, and runs back and forth in the brooder while flapping her wings. I am worried that she may be a he!

At the shop where I purchased her, they said there is no real way to tell if you have a rooster until they crow. But does anyone have experience of figuring out if its a rooster before that? Or maybe the Amercauna is just a larger and more flighty breed?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

She's the one on the right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jenni2142

jenni2142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South Carolina
    I don't think it looks like a he yet and if that is a single comb then not an Ameraucana, they have pea combs. if the comb and wattles start getting really pink/red then roo.

3. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    My experience with them has been they are nutso! Absolutely love to freak out and run around like they have no sense at all!

4. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Too early to tell. Wait to see if that come gets dark pink/red. And watch for saddle feathers. Cute little polish chick there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by