1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is she a he??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by girlsnboys, Apr 17, 2007.

1. girlsnboys

girlsnboys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Whidbey Island, WA
    My "girls" are 6 weeks old and one of my golden comets looks and acts different than the rest. Here are some pics of Blondie. Could she be a he?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. djwingo

djwingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    Kellyville, Oklahoma
    im still kinda new so i am just guessin but i would say yes based on how red her comb and waddles are already well his i mean lol

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    How is blondie acting different? In the pictures it looks like she is doing a lot of posturing?

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Golden comets are a sex linked chicken. Looks like waaaaay to much white to be a hen. Not to mention that comb. Hens are mostly red if I remember correctly.

5. CashmereSussex

CashmereSussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    looks like a roo

6. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Yup, she is a he. I looked them up online and the hens will always be more golden, while the males are mainly white. So, what do you plan to do with your boy? Keepin hiim, or..... Soup, anyone? [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Its a rooster. DEFINITELY! The sexlink males in that crossbreed are white.

8. girlsnboys

girlsnboys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2007
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Thanks for all of the comments. I couldn't believe that HE went right up to my "head hen", a buff orp--Henny, and charged her. Henny is huge compared to him. The other funny behavior was when they all went running back into the tractor extension to hide from the hens and he would run and check each one as they came in. Now I am a little worried. He and one of the Americanas are always challenging each other. Up until now, I assumed it was just the whole pecking order thing happening. One roo I can probably get away with but 2 out of 9 in an 8x8 coop isn't going to work. Kstaven and speckledhen, I was coming to the same conclusion based on info I found online. The farm store I go to told me, they're a sex-link so they only send us females. ha-ha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by