Is She a He?

ORmom2four

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
West Linn, Oregon
This chick is suppose to be a pullet, but she is looking more like a he *I think*. I'm very new to chickens (these are my first two!) so I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks so much!

DSC03792.jpg

DSC03782.jpg

I thinks he looks pretty roo-sh. The comb looks larger then the pullet and definately redder and the legs are stouter then hen aren't they? How old are they? He looks like he is getting some wattles started also? And don't feel bad about having to put them to bed at night -- I have 5 1/2 week old Buffs and Americaunas and they argue with me every night about sundown and I have to go out and convince them to get in the coop. Some nights it is quite a show!!
gig.gif
Last night I waited untill after sundown and I gentlly went out and told them it was bedtime and they all lined up and went in so I could shut the hen door. Do you have a light on in there for them at dusk so they can see where to go? That does seem to help mine find the way in. I know that one of these nights I will go out at sundown and they will be all tucked by themselves. Trudy
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

My girl turned out to be a roo !!!!!
gig.gif
Oh is my DH gonna have something to say about that
hit.gif

He said absolutley no roos. Wich I understand why. I do only have a backyard and am surronded by neighbors. I think I would be the only one to appreciate his lovely new talent. So I will be down to four chicks soon as DH figures out that my boy has started crowing. But I am going to try not to tell DH about it for as long as possible. I am sooooooo proud of my little guy. He is now 8 weeks old. I called as many people as I could to brag about him
wee.gif

I don't know what part of West Linn you live in, but I'm guessing the neighbors will turn their noses up at a roo really fast!

Welcome neighbor! I'm in Portland. We had 2 roos out of the 4 chicks we raised last year (our first chickens). I was in denial until I heard that first crow even though the behaviors appeared pretty early. We live on a small city lot, so we had to send them to friends with farms quickly. Do you know about pullet day at Pistils Nursery? Let me know if you want information on local healthy pullets for next time.

LOL, I'm sure my neighbors won't take too kindly to a rooster. One already complained that our dog barks at him when he's on "his" property (my dog does not know about property lines, go figure!).

We would love any info on getting new pullets, since it looks like we will only have one--the rooster will need to find a new home
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom