Is she a he?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by novaanne, Aug 10, 2013.

1. novaanne

novaanne New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    We got 8 chicks on March 1st from the local feed store. We were told they were all female. About 4 weeks ago they all started laying but one. We know she isn't laying because we have only 2 blue egg layers and we have actually seen the other one lay. We get one blue egg per day. The one who is not laying is smaller than all the rest and tends to stay off by herself. The others are not mean to her, they actually tend to "herd" her back to the group and will sleep on the roost with her under their wings. Her comb is very small and barely red. She also has no waddles yet.

I'm wondering if she is a roo because she has the curled down roo tail feathers and different neck feathers than the others. She is shaped different as well. Leaner with a longer neck. Ill try to get a good picture of her.

These are my first chickens. I hope she isn't a Roo as I live in the city and don't want to piss of the neighbors!

Is it possible to have a "sexless" chicken? She acts like the slow little sister. :)

Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Many have 'sexless' chickens, but all have a gender. [​IMG] Welcome to BYC. Sounds as if you may just have a late bloomer. A picture will help.

3. auburn

auburn Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    West Michigan
  4. novaanne

novaanne New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

Heres Edgar! See her feathers look roo. Her comb is small and not red like the others. Her sister has very little waddles, she has none.

5. novaanne

novaanne New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    [​IMG]

Heres her face. This is "Edgar Puffycheeks"

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That bird is all female. She may just be slower to develop than her sister. Or, I can't see her comb very well, but if it's not a pea comb she may not be laying colored eggs. Easter eggers can lay cream or light brown or pinkish eggs also.

edit--you say she stays by herself, and I see some nice vegetation in the photo. Have you gone on an intensive egg hunt? New layers often don't lay in the nest box, she may be going off somewhere and laying under a bush or some such. You might try confining her for a few days and see if you get an egg.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  7. novaanne

novaanne New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    They are only free range when supervised. I've never seen her stop long enough to lay. They have a large contained run and coop as well and i've checked the entire thing for hidden eggs. We are getting 7 eggs each day and only one is blue. Her comb is just like her sisters (kinda look likes chewed bubble gum, is this a pea comb?) but half the size and not as red. Glad to hear you think shes just a slow developing girl.

Thanks!

8. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Yep that sounds like a pea comb have a look at this and see
    [​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The smaller, less red comb just means she's not sexually mature yet. I've heard of Easter eggers being very late bloomers sometimes.

10. novaanne

novaanne New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    Yep, that's what her comb looks like! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by