Is she a pygmy goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BRYAN662, Apr 11, 2009.

1. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    I purchased a pygmy doe today. When we got home I noticed she has waddles on each side of her chin. Is she a pygmy or is she possibly mixed with another breed of goat? She is the same size as my other pygmies her age. She looks just like them except for the waddles. Never seen this before. Is this normal?

2. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    [​IMG] Yes that is normal!! lol I would be worried also but its okay. A couple of my registered does have waddles [​IMG]

3. BRYAN662

BRYAN662 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Thanks! I was worried! She looks great and is very friendly. I just wanted to make sure that the waddles were normal. They are not noticable.

4. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Now it's not fair to ask if your goat is a Pygmy without pictures [​IMG] I personally love waddles on my goats.

5. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Waddles add character. Can you believe that some people cut them off ? Waddles are Normal on Pygmy goats and they are nothing more than fatty tissue. They serve no purpose and do no harm. Twice we had kids that had one side on the ear and the other side on the throat !!! Talk about add character.

6. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:Are you serious.....the things I learn on BYC.

7. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

YES I AM VERY SERIOUS !!! I would like to get those people and take scissors to thier ear lobes. Now how do ya like that ya meanie!!!

8. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Awww...that is so sad people cut them off. My Saanen has waddles, I call them her jewelry when people ask me about them. Like bheila, I am sometimes shocked at what I learn on BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by