Is she a she?...Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chix4babs, Sep 20, 2014.

1. chix4babs

chix4babs New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    Hi Everyone:

New to chickens and I was told the one shown below was a Blue Ameraucana. She had a dark grey head and light grey body. Now at 5 1/2 weeks Her color has lightened quite a bit. Her head is still darker than her body but is lighter and now her body is a pale, pale grey and has a few dark spots. Hmmmm....I'm thinking now that she is not a Blue Ameraucana but perhaps a Splash? Or is she even an Ameraucana at all....perhaps an EE? And finally, is she really a she? I'm so hoping she's a she because I can't keep a roo (and naturally, "she's" my favorite.) Thanks for any input you can give. :)

[​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    She looks to me like a true Blue Ameraucana pullet. Keep in mind that in blue breeds, only 50% of them will be blue; 25% of them will turn out splash and 25% of them will turn out black. I can't see the color of her legs, but if they are slate blue, she is an Ameraucana and not an Easter Egger.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

A profile pic would sure help, to see her coloring better, but she does look splash. Depending on how the breeding pen is set up, you can easily get splash from breeding for blues. She was pretty light as a chick, here's my blue chicks (they're sex linked, so the female has the dark head). You can see how much darker she was than your bird. [​IMG]
    I'm not seeing any thing about your bird saying male at this point.

4. chix4babs

chix4babs New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it! :)

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I thought she was blue until I blew up the photo and now I think along with Rachel (donrae) that she is splash. Pretty pullet.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Splash Ameraucana pullet to me, too. Beautiful little bird!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm thinking Splash Ameraucana as well.

9. chix4babs

chix4babs New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    Thank you. I never thought I would be so enamored with a little chicken but...I think I'm hooked! She's a cutie. :)

10. chix4babs

chix4babs New Egg

Mar 8, 2014
    I'm so happy that everyone is on the same page with the breed diagnosis. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by