is she a silkie? :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bluefeather2697, Nov 11, 2011.

1. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    hi. i bought a chicken in a farm, so those chickens there are assorted, i picked the best and the cutest one but i dont know what gender, breed and age (i think she's 7 weeks or something, what d'ya think?) it is. here she is (hoping she's a pullet! [​IMG])

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and here's her size compared to my hand, and by the way, she still sounds like a chick. *peeep, peeep* [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i have a strong feeling that she's a pullet because theres no sign of spur development (even a small bump, just a circular mark!) AND by the way, she's not feather-footed and she has a dark lavender skin. so im really confused because silkies usually have feathers on their foot. and at that age (if he's a roo) she should be developing a spur bump [​IMG]

[​IMG]

THANKS FOR YOUR GUESSES! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes his a Silkie
    and his a roo [​IMG]

3. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    awww. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]. how about that spur thing? [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Christie Loves Silkies

Christie Loves Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens can grow them too, but at 7 weeks a hen wouldnt have that much of a comb at all.
    and the hackle feathers are pointy.

5. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    My Silkies don't have any spur development yet. They're 4 1/2 mo old and a few are crowing. Yours is probably hatchery quality (so are mine) and that's why his legs aren't feathered. Very seldom will you find pullets for sale from farms or in ads.
    Edit: I think yours is a boy also. And he's a lot older than 7 wks. Probably getting ready to crow.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    He's a boy, as you know he lacks foot feathers and he also lacks the 5 toes, not much crest either. Neat looking

7. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    That is a mix of silkie X ? And could be a girl.

8. Little One

Little One Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2011
    SE Virginia
    I'm not sure about the sex, but pullets and cockerels can both grow spur nubs. It isn't until sexual maturity (about six months old), the little nubs start to grow into actual spurs in the cockerels. At 7 weeks old, you wouldn't see any spurs on a male.

9. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Looks like a silky mix of some sort? Looks like a roo though. [​IMG]

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    silkie mix and i'm 100% sure its a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by