Is she a Welsummer?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Baymen Moe, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    I have always thought this hen was a Welsummer but looking at other pictures makes me think otherwise. A mix perhaps? Or just hatchery stock? She was a mistake in my order in May of 09 from the feed store but a nice mistake. I don't get very dark eggs from her either. She is however a very nice looking bird. Thanks...And that's a dummy egg in the box

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    She looks darker than my Welsummer (also just hatchery stock), and holds her tail differently, though perhaps that is just how she was at the instant the photo was snapped. Mine is more of a reddish - brown color without the "lacing", holds her tail quite a bit higher, and the ends of her tail feathers are the only places she has any black shading.

3. Baymen Moe

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Quote:That's interesting, I thought mine was lighter in color, especially the neck area. She does hold her tail high on the ground. I think it was low in the photo because she was on the nest box rails. Thank you.

4. RCROE

RCROE Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2010
    FT.Payne AL.
    I would say yes . her breast feathers rap around her side a trait in welsumers .I have notices .
    I would say no . if thats her egg !!! LOL

5. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    That does not look like a Welsummer to me. She looks to large. I could be wrong.

6. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    She looks like a cross to me. A verry pretty cross indeed!

7. Baymen Moe

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Quote:Yes, she is a pretty large bird.

8. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    The neck area isn't so different - mine is a bit redder, and yours appears to have more gold. The area where there is the biggest color difference is the back and wing - mine doesn't have any black. In some ways the coloring on your bird reminds me of an EE, except they have the slate colored legs. Of course, I am no expert, and I only have the one welsummer (who is hatchery quality, also) to compare. Tried to get pics, but it was too dark - maybe tomorrow.

9. momof4boys

momof4boys Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    battle ground, WA
    She looks like a welsummer to me. I have two (hatchery stock, also) and one is lighter like yours and one is a little darker.

10. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Do you know where your feed store orders their chicks? Some breeds are not carried by all hatcheries. It might be easier to tell what she possibly is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by